Wednesday 16 September 2015

Did I Miss the Boat?

The stock market seems to have gotten back on its feet, or maybe this is just a temporary blip up before the real crash begins, this only time will tell, but I'm going to do some reflections on my actions during this current drop.

(Image source: www.wikipedia.org)

So, to begin with, I don't have a very large fund to invest with at the moment, so I'm trying to be more careful with when and where I place my money. If you're interested, some of the companies in my watchlist are YZJ, DBS, Sembcorp Ind and Keppel. I've written up on some of the other companies that are in my watchlist as well, but unlikely to do all, especially the banks and large conglomerates, which I find too complicated to understand (so I'm trying to avoid these as investments). Most of these shares have dropped in tandem with the market.

When the market first dropped, I invested a large part of my available funds (still in the red from this). Didn't expect the market to drop so much. But it did, so I suffered paper losses, but I didn't think there'd be too much to worry about. I believe that I've made a good choice and that the fundamentals would ultimately prevail in the end. At this point, I still have a small sum of money left, so instead of looking at the losses I tried to look for opportunities. I quite liked YZJ so I decided to buy it when it dropped to $1.05.

So, I followed the share for about 2 weeks, with the share coming as close as $1.06, but I decided to continue waiting until $1.05. Just saying, before I started following it, the share dropped to $1.03, so I wasn't hoping against hope. And then somehow, the share went back up these few days and I'm really kicking myself for not getting it just one cent above my target. I actually have some YZJ shares anyway, but I bought them at a much higher price when the market first dropped slightly, so I'm still in the red on that one.

I was thinking that the share price had dropped so much that I had might as well just hope it continue dropping so I could buy some more, but it looks like that day didn't come for me. I may have missed the boat with the share now climbing to $1.23. But then who knows for sure? Another piece of news like the yuan devaluation could just shake the market up, in this case maybe a fed interest rate hike, but from what I hear online, it seems unlikely.

So, the only reflection I've got out of this is just don't stick too rigidly to certain numbers, but on a plus side, at least I was able to have a strong stomach to hold on. I think this is a good rehearsal to come up with a good game plan before the big one really comes.

If you have enjoyed this post and would like to receive notifications on new posts, you can subscribe to my blog via email or like our Facebook page

No comments :

Post a Comment