Thursday 1 October 2015

Ostrich With Head in The Sand

The market seems to keep on going down, ok, maybe except for today, but the rest of the days seems to be having a downward trend. I was thinking, maybe being busy at this point in time is actually a good thing, with less time to check the market and worry over past decision. It's like when a ostrich hides its head in the sand (I know this is a myth, but I'm just using the metaphor) when it faces problems, what I don't see doesn't bother me.....

(Image source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/)

Checking the market less, maybe once a day on my phone or even not at all, seems to have removed some of random thoughts about the market and my portfolio, which is what usually leads to feelings of fear and greed, which are two things that investors should avoid. Less time to think and spend analysing the market (which is usually just pure nonsense at the end as we can’t accurately guess the next moves of the market) seems to have been a positive things for me.

Less time to look at losses and feel the pain. There is also less time to think about what actions I can take so just holding on to my portfolio. Not only save time, but some heartache and also the risk of making a sell decision in this period.

The market won’t change whether I look at it or not and the best action that I think I can take now is just to hold on or maybe even pick up investments when I have the chance to. Looking at just the prices, it makes it slightly easier to make decision. Either the share has reached my target price or it hasn’t, limiting my choices to buying or holding, which would fall in line with my goal during this period

While ignoring the market wasn’t part of my plan, it seems to be a good strategy to avoid making bad decisions during this period by selling when investments are selling at more attractive prices.

If you have enjoyed this post and would like to receive notifications on new posts, you can subscribe to my blog via email or like our Facebook page

1 comment :

  1. Hi,

    I think that it's important to Singapore as we are a small island that has no natural resources, so we need foreign investment to continue growing our economy, to build new infrastructure and businesses. This can also come from internally now that we are better off though.

    ReplyDelete